French toast doesn’t need to be always sweet, right? So today, I am going to show you how to make savoury french toast in two ways. Ever since I discovered my own version of vegan french toast recipe (which was a total success) I have been having french toast pretty much every weekend! On a Friday night, while I was in bed after a long week I was thinking of a new recipe and yes that was the savoury french toast.
I made this particular french toast for my hubby while I made the other version for myself on a Saturday morning. I have posted the other version of savoury french toast as a separate post which you will find on my blog. I have not used eggs or dairy milk to make the ‘eggy’ base for the bread. However, my hubby still enjoys eggs, so, I served him these savoury french toast with eggs on top but you can skip the eggs to leave it as a plant-based breakfast. In addition to the eggs, I served the toast with sauteed mushrooms and a savoury avocado mash.
I used one-day-old sourdough bread but you can use any type of bread but making sure the bread is old by a day or two and the slices are thick. Enough talking and let’s get started.
2-3 thick bread slices
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
200ml plant-based milk (I used soy milk)
1/2 large onion roughly chopped
1/2 large tomato chopped
Handful of fresh herbs roughly chopped (anything you fancy)
1 fresh green chilli (optional)
2- 3 plant-based butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms
handful of baby rocket leaves
olive oil to drizzle
Salt to taste
Ingredients for Savoury Avacodo mash (optional);
1 tsp tahini
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of steak seasoning (optional)
sal to taste
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk well until no lumpy bits of flaxseed meal is found. It is best to use a flat-based bowl and add milk by batches. Otherwise, the flaxseed meal will disappear in the bottom of the bowl and you will hardly coat the bread with the flaxseed meal.
- Dip the bread in the milk base turning both sides.
- Heat a skillet on meat heat and spread some butter on the skillet. Add the bread slices one by one to the skillet without overlapping. Cook over medium-high heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Now let’s get started with the mushrooms. Heat 1 tbsp of butter in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add enough mushrooms to cover the base of the pan without overcrowding. This will stop them from sweating and allow them to become nice and golden. Work in batched of needed. Season with salt.
- Avocado Mash – place all the ingredients in a bowl and mash until well mixed.
- Place the french toast on a plate and served with the mushrooms and rocket leaves on top and savoury avo mash on the side. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with crushed salt and pepper.