You would not believe how easy it is to make this perfect orange cake. The flavor and the down-to-earth simplicity makes this recipe an easy-going, everyday snack. You will only need a few staples, a big orange and a few minutes to whip up the cake, the rest will be looked after by your oven! For this recipe I used navel oranges which are sweeter and slightly tangier than other varieties, which is perfect for this type of cake but you can decide which type of orange you like the most or what is available at the time. Depending on the type of orange the tanginess and sweetness will vary but all oranges are beautiful!
2 cups raising flour
2 oranges (zest and juice)
150g butter (at room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 lime or lemon (zest)
6 tbsp butter
1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 20cm cake tray.
- Whisk sugar and eggs in a mixing bowl. Add the flour, melted butter, freshly squeezed juice & zest into the same bowl and mix with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for about 6 minutes until everything is combined well.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tray and bake for about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix all the icing ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well until combined well. Once the cake is baked, let it rest until it reaches the room temperature. Slice the cake from the middle into two tires and apply the icing you prepared.
- Tip – before squeezing the juice, I cut 5 thin slices of an orange and kept them aside. Sprinkled some brown sugar on the bottom of the cake tray, placed the orange slices and then poured the batter on top of the orange slices. This way, you can turn the cake upside down once baked and you will achieve the slightly caramelised orange slices on top of your cake (as shown in my photos).
- I sprinkled my cake with some icing sugar, freshly grated zest and served with a dollop of cream on top. Perfect with a cuppa onside or a perfect snack during any time of the day.