This is a very easy one-pot meat dish. The simplicity and the flavours of this dish will totally blow you away. In Asian cooking, oil is THE thing so you can call this a healthy version compared to a traditional Sri Lankan meat curry as I have not used any oil here. I am sure you could still see the separated oil in the dish although zero cooking oil has been added. I can guarantee that you will not identify the difference once cooked. I rarely use oil in my meat curries unless it is absolutely needed and I generally use less oil in my recipes, you will be sure to find out with my upcoming recipes. This recipe takes only a few steps and a good hour on the stove before you could dig in. This is a very spicy curry so if your palate does not allow spicy food please feel free to reduce the amount of chilli powder, chillies and pepper recommended in the recipe.
1 kg diced lamb (some pieces on the bone)
2-3 medium-sized onions sliced
6-8 fresh green chillies sliced
1 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 tbsp tomato purée
4-inch cinnamon stick
8 cardamom pods bruised
Fresh curry leaves
4-inch long pandan leave
2 tbsp meat curry powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tbsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp grounded black pepper
Salt to taste
- Dice lamb into 1×1 inch pieces and place in a bowl.
- Add all the ingredients except tomato purée and half the chilli powder into the bowl and combine well so all the pieces are evenly coated with all spices.
- Meanwhile, place a wok on medium heat. Once the wok is hot enough to sizzle, add the marinated lamb into the wok. Increase the heat to high- medium.
- Do not cover the wok for about 20-25 mins. By doing this you will be able to get the dark brown/ red colour of the curry.
- After 30mins, add tomato purée and combine well. Heat a flat pan on low heat and roast the rest of the chilli powder and add this to the curry.
- Now reduce the heat to low heat and cover the wok with a lid. Let it cook for another half an hour or until the oil is separated from the lamb (all together the curry should be on the stove for an hour). It is best to marinate the meat for a few hours or even overnight for best results.
- Serve with your favourite carb dish.