Classic French crepes just made vegan! Crepes always make a hearty and easy breakfast and I think I’ve been neglecting them for a little too long. Anyways, I’m glad that a punnet of fresh strawberries gave me a nudge in the right direction.
These crepes are 100% eggless, dairy-free and cholesterol-free. Besides, even if you’re not vegan you’re gonna love it! For me, crepes have to be super thin to be called crepes so it is a matter of making the batter very liquid and spreading it very quickly in a hot pan. I added a few scoops of goji berry powder into the batter and it gave them a delicious taste and a colour too. These creps were served with fresh strawberries, homemade vegan whipped cream and pure maple syrup. Oh boy! They were too delicious to handle!
You can top with fresh fruits, jam, peanut butter, chocolate spared, or simply dust some powdered sugar and squeeze fresh lemon. The toppings or fillings are pretty much endless.
I love this recipe not just because they are delicious but also it’s so simple. The batter is ready in only 5 minutes, so it’s perfect when you have unexpected guests or if you are craving for a sweet tooth and you want something quick and easy. The crepes have the perfect texture and a little bit of elasticity so you can fold or roll them easily.
The trick is to get the skillet warm, then take it off the heat and spray a bit of oil on evenly. Then pour some of the batter on and quickly turn the pan in a circular motion to get the batter to spread out into a thinner circle. Then return it to the heat and cook. Pouring the batter while the skillet is off the heat helps to get the batter to spread out more thinly before it starts to fully cook.
I hope you will enjoy my French vegan crepes.
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (240ml) soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed meal+ 3 tablespoons hot water)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- to make the flax egg, add flaxseed meal and water into a small bowl and stir. Let rest for 5 minutes to thicken.
- While the flax egg is sitting, sift the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and the flax egg and mix in well to make the batter. Alternatively, you can add all of these ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until everything is smooth or if you find lumps in the batter you can use a handheld mixture to mix all the ingredients.
- Heat up a crepe pan or frying pan and spray some cooking oil. When the pan is very hot, pour in enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan once swirled around.
- Flip the crepe only when it’s cooked through enough so that there are no wet patches of batter facing upwards.
- Cook on the other side until both sides are lightly browned.
- Repeat until your batter is finished and serve with your favourite toppings.